Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Apple Cider and Bacon Sauce

Inspired by Cooking Light




I found this recipe on the cooking light website, and the recipe uses very few ingredients and is quick and easy to make. It tastes very good, and is great for fall/ winter. The first time I made this sauce I used apple juice instead of cider, which I think still turned out as good as the apple cider (make sure to use 100% juice if you use apple juice though). 
As a side note this is a sauce that does not get super thick, so adding a little bit of corn starch will make it thicker if that is what you want. The original recipe serves this sauce on chicken. When I made this recipe for the blog I made the sauce for chicken/ bacon tortellini and pork loin. I preferred it with chicken, so maybe next time I will use the tortellini with chicken instead of pork. Let me know what you pair the sauce with!



Ingredients

  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 slices of bacon
  • 1/4 cup onion (chopped fine)
  • 3/4 cup apple cider
  • 1/2 cup fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth



Directions



1.     Cook bacon until crispy, remove from pan.

2.     Add onions and black pepper to pan, with bacon grease, and cook until tender.

3.     Add cider and broth and boil for about 5 minutes. 

4.     Stir in crumbled bacon




I served the sauce over the tortellini with the cubed pork loin and French Cut Green Beans.



Greta decided to sit out during the cooking of the blog, and was asleep on the couch. Of course as soon as I was ready to eat, she was as well. 










No comments:

Post a Comment